We celebrate the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018
OPEN CALL for artists
[individuals & teams]
3D, Video installation & Performing art. Virtual reality & Augmented reality games
"Europe Started Here!"*
Historic centre of Ermoupolis
Deadline: April 15, 2018
Do you believe that Europe’s cultural heritage is a shared resource?
The Open Call is addressing artists from all over the world.
Your work can draw its inspiration from any city/country/person or specific location you think it reflects European cultural heritage.
Europe's cultural heritage has been forged over centuries by the interaction between cultural expressions of various civilizations that have inhabited the continent or have been encountered thanks to trade and travel.
“Europe has lived on its contradictions, flourished on its differences, and, constantly transcending itself…” [Albert Camus]
- Why exploring the European Cultural Heritage in Ermoupolis?
During 19th century the city of Ermoupolis in Syros that was founded by refugees was characterized as an "economic miracle" in Greece.
Shortly, the deserted coast of the island turned into the most important port of the country.
A blooming economy due to its leadership in the shipping industry, commerce and manufacturing sector went hand to hand with a cultural development that turned Ermoupolis into a “little Paris” in Greece.
This economic prosperity led to the development of an upper class of citizens who adopted a "European" life style. Entertainment and fashion also followed the "European" standards.
Splendid neoclassical mansions, examples of Romantic Classicism, created the impression of a European city in the heart of the Aegean Sea.
What we stand for:
1. Art in Public Space is a Live experience.
2. Art asks questions.
3. Artists and local artists will create together with audience rather than doing something for them.
4. Public Art strengthens social liaisons, democratic values & promote tolerance.
5. Joy lie at the heart of Eye’s Walk Digital festival.
Artists are encouraged to consider the following options with regards to the locations and venue possibilities that the city of Ermoupolis offers:
- Video Art Installations at key locations that define the character of the city: Maximum duration 5 minutes
- Site specific installations/ Performing art and dance exhibitions in public space We encourage proposals that will enhance the participation of the audience and the community. Maximum duration 10 minutes
- Augmented reality projects through smart phone apps, interaction between image and sound, interactive (motion detection) animation
The team of the Eye’s Walk Digital festival will be responsible for the curatorial work and the production.
Starting from the island of Syros the “Europe started Here!” project may appear in other cities in Greece and abroad as an opportunity for people to connect with the public space through the art.
Applications deadline is April 15th, 2018.
Submit your proposal at email@example.com
Visit our web page www.eyeswalk.gr
Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/eyeswalk/
*“Here” refers to every place/country/person that contributed to the formation of European culture.